Subtitle

"Walking for air. Walking to see" (Bradbury, pg.176)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Post 2

Today, while walking, I saw the most peculiar sight.  I was walking past a school playground and I saw children playing on it.  They were swinging on the swings, sliding down the slides, teetering on the teeter-totter.  They were laughing and running and chasing each other and having great fun outside of their homes.  I checked my watch to see if school was still in session that would explain the playing, since every student up until the 8th grade must have physical education.  This was one of the things made mandatory in the election last year.  But, the time on my watch said 6:34pm, much too late for school to be in and all daycares end at 5:00pm.  I asked a child “Why are you out here playing?  Are your televisions broken?” and she said “No, they’re not broken.  We’re reenacting an old show we saw.  The kids on there were playing on a playground like this and playing tag and swinging and other stuff.”  I just nodded and walked away.  I should’ve known.  No person in their right mind, child or adult, would subject to physical activity without a connection to some form of technology.  Except me, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment